I was lingering in bed holding Moriah when David asked in a nonchalant voice, "So...do you want to hear the results of the UCLA/USC game?" "Yes!" I answered.
He then began to read me the headline, "How good was the battle for Los Angeles? So good they were cheering in Ann Arbor and Coral
Gables." UCLA upset No. 2 USC with a 13-9 victory!! Go Bruins!I started screaming and even Moriah (no joke) held up her index finger, pointing, as if to say, "We're #1!"
When David and I first met in the fall of 1998, our football team had just beat USC for the 8th year in a row! So for his birthday gift the following year, I bought him tickets to the UCLA/USC football game not realizing that it would be the first of 7 straight games we would lose against 'SC.
Finally, we won! What a fun victory to celebrate. The next day, David's father informed me that the UCLA basketball team was ranked #1. Though we are halfway across the globe, we are still spirited Bruin fans (and of course, Vanderbilt fans, too!) The first photo of Verity and Annalise in their UCLA jerseys was taken at the Rose Bowl a year ago when we took them to the UCLA/CAL game.
Another positive aspect is that it is much easier here to help our children focus on the meaning of Christmas without the commercialism that can so easily creep into our celebrations in the States. If our calendar didn't read "December," you would never know by walking around the city here that Christmas is coming (other than the occasional storefront with an artificial tree or Santa figure).
Today, the girls had their friends, Ellie & Krissy,


3 comments:
it was a great game! i had confidence going in to this years game to resume trash talking with my trojan friends. i had to let elaine and the boys know that they were doomed and had no chance against our boys! ha ha, well LA was a buzz for a while, almost a full work week. impressive for the city of angels. well, i had a feeling and they did not disappoint. hopefully this is the start of another 8 year run! ~jake
The game was great !! And what a wonderful ending. We talked about it at my school all week (it's a divided campus among the two schools). So congrats to your school jenni ! And Dave I don't know if you heard but Tenn beat Cal, the game we talked about before you left. so congrats to you too! ~ Lauren
We let you win. ;o)
ok, ok... I'm over it now. USC had a great year and I have to say it.... ahem... yay UCLA.
but we'll get you next year!
~elaine
USC 2005
Post a Comment